10 January, 2007

Sabbath extra: sabbath discipline?

I call Sabbath keeping one of the seven spiritual disciplines of the modern Christian.

(what are the other six? stay tuned)

Discipline, specifically, because it's not something that comes naturally to us in this crazy overstressed overbusy world we live in. Discipline because it takes determined effort. Discipline because, frankly, it's not always easy. I struggle mightily with aspects of sabbath keeping (I'm thinking, at the moment, of the resting part, not the community worship part).

I've had the idea for a discussion of sabbath "discipline" in general in the back of my head, waiting for the right chapter to come along. Don't know if or when that will happen, because I'm deliberately not reading ahead in Muller's book. But Tripp and Megan have already started the discussion. I'll refer you to their posts for now, and add to that conversation later.

2 comments:

meeegan said...

Hmmm... I have noodled around with my cognitive dissonance on this idea in Tripp's blog a little.

To make Sabbath rest a "discipline," that involves work and effort, seems completely counter to the whole point of Sabbath rest, which is to release work and effort for a time.

So, what's up with that?

Cristopher said...

I think of it as discipline in the sense of needing to be intentional about it. Yes, there is a certain humorous paradox in having to work to let go.

Haven't you ever had to make yourself relax?