28 January, 2006

When cyberspace meets realspace

So, I'm leaving the hospital yesterday, in between calls on parishioners in the hospital and the nursing home, and decide to try to find a coffee shop to pass the time by reading exegesis on Isaiah 40 for next week.

I found a new-to-me coffee place about a block away, and I'm stirring the sugar in my coffee, and I look up and do a double-take, because there at the table next to me is...Gordon Atkinson.

Gordon is better known in the blogisphere as the Real Live Preacher. He started an anonymous blog a while ago, and I started reading it when directed there by my friend the Naughty Church Secretary. I seem to remember that was while we were still in California, but my memory might be flawed, because that's right about when he started writing. I've been a regular reader ever since, and he's been a source of inspiration and challenge.

Anyway, the man has a gift. And, by now, lots and lots of practice at writing. When I finally got drug kicking and screaming into the blogisphere, I mentally told myself that I wanted to write like he did. I also want to preach like Haddon Robinson, Fred Craddock, and Peter Gomes, and hit like Ted Williams... we all aim for something.

he gets upwards of 5,000 visitors a day to his site. (as of recent count, I think 15 people know about the existence of this blog) Then he wrote a book, which I gave to several seminary classmates as gifts. Than I found someplace to do ministry, and it's in San Antonio, and I thought, maybe, someday, I'd go knock on this guy's real-world door, just for the purpose of shaking his hand and then going away again.

Anyway, there he was, drinking coffee and talking on the cell phone. And when I said "hey, are you Gordon Atkinson?" is was HIS turn to do the double-take.

We ended up talking a long time. At least an hour, maybe two, much of it about preaching. He is, as you might expect, fabulous to meet in person.

13 comments:

Pat Greene said...

You met the Real Live Preacher? Whoa. Lucky you. Most of us would love to write like RLP.

Anonymous said...

Darling, you're paparazzi. You're like the People magazine of the thoughtful faithful. Don't you know, when you see your idols in public, you're not supposed to gush and fawn. It's embarrassing! Pictures with the presiding bishop, coffee with Real Live Preacher...

I hesitate to think what you'll do when you run into Jesus at the ballgame.

I love you! Pray for us!

Cristopher said...

I didn't GUSH! (oh, okay, maybe a little.) yes, dear one, I will pray for y'all. Any word on plans for the interim?

Unknown said...

We have reached a new day when one becomes famous for an internet blog. I too visit RLP and I too joined the blogosphere recently. I am sure my reaction would have been similar.

Danny Bradfield said...

Dear "Poor Damn Fool in a Round Plastic Collar," (sorry, I couldn't resist), you'll probably be getting a lot more readers, now that RLP has mentioned you on his blog. That's how I found you, of course. But don't worry. I'm sure they'll like what they find here. I'm a pastor, and enjoyed reading some of your other posts (i.e. "Writing Sermons is Hard") and they're wonderful. I'm going to put a link to you on my blog. You really do have a gift for blogging, if not preaching, although I suspect your preaching is great as well. :-)

Anonymous said...

Wow!!! you are famous! I just read about the Cristopher spotting on RLP. We miss you!

Anonymous said...

dude, that is sweet.

mark said...

First time visit to your blog from RLP. I'll visit regularly.

Anonymous said...

I found my way here through RLP. I enjoyed reading through your former posts and have added you to my favorites!! Congratulations and keep up the good work.

Anonymous said...

I alway wanted know someone famous. Good to see your still using liturgy practice (blog address). You write as good as you preach, but then again I shouild know I've seen and heard both, and brother both are excellent. Do you still wear your red shoes under your white dress? By the way how do you get that green ink on this screen? Peace

Anonymous said...

Darling, SassyPriest is the interim. She's doing a phenomenal job! Plus, we're praying for an expedient and Spirit-driven search for a visionary leader. God will give us someone soon, because we want to be led and challenged! Let's not talk about the diocese...

Pat Greene said...

Jen, what, you mean the diocese isn't looking to be led and challenged? *ducking and running*

Hey, Cristopher, if you *do* run into Jesus at a baseball game, could you put a good word in for the Devil Rays? How long is a team supposed to be abjectly pathetic?

And is a holy baseball bat anything like the bishop's holy putter in "Dogma"?

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on meeting your idol. Get your terminology right - if you're typing and reading, rather than plugging cables into your head, it's not cyberspace (or "cyber-" anything).

*grumble* on behalf of William Gibson, from Curmudgeonly Staunch Laiety in New York

Love you, brother.