24 December, 2006

sabbath: the sabbath box

Muller's suggested practice this week: use a sabbath box. A place to put the things that you carry around, and deliberately "let go" of the attended uses. Close the lid, and be done with them until it's time to deliberately pick them up again.

This one was easy for me. In my closet, on the shelves, there's a pretty wooden box with a cross on it that my mother gave me. It tends to gather clutter, but I cleaned that out and made places for the loose change and receipts and other little things.

Every evening, when I got home for the day, I went through the ritual of putting down my responsibilities. For those of you who are dying to know the regular contents of my pockets, here was the regular litany:

Wallet: I am through buying things today.
Wristwatch: I am on family time now. I have no other time-sensitive obligations.
Fountain pen (which goes in the other box, with all the other fountain pens): I am done writing, creating, preaching, and proclaiming today.
Vial of healing oil: I am always a priest, but I am done with my ministry for the day.
Class ring, seminary ring, clerical collar: I am finished being a visible minister of the gospel today.
Cell phone (turned off): I'm finished talking to the rest of the world today.
Keys to the church: I'm done with my job today.

it worked. I was really able to put things down and tell myself later, "nope, that's in the box. Go pick it back up if you want to work." I'll stick with this discipline for a few more weeks and see what comes of it.

4 comments:

meeegan said...

How did you find you felt about picking those elements up again, when it was time to go back to work?

Tripp Hudgins said...

Interesting. I wake up at six am and check my work e-mail. Hmmm...

Steve Puckett said...

I would love to find such a storage box. Do you have a suggested source?

Cristopher said...

Steve,

no, I don't have a source. My mother got it for me, probably at a craft fair. It's a simple wooden box, 9"x6"x3". A shoebox would probably do just fine for the exercise, I just happened to have the thing laying around.