05 April, 2006

Fearing the blog

One of the reasons I had to be dragged kicking and screaming into the blogisphere is something that I affectionately termed Robinson's First Law of Consulting: once it leaves your hand, it's gone. You can't take it back. You will always be required to acknowledge that it's out there. Math mistakes can't be corrected. Even when you send the client a new piece of paper, saying "oops, we goofed on our math, here is a new page 36 of the report," you still have to deal with the OLD page 36, and why you made the mistake, and why it makes a difference, and why you weren't smart enough to do it right the first time. "Sorry, I forgot to carry the two" just doesn't work as an acceptable answer.

Even when it's not your fault. A printing error, for example. That's why we had editors and proofreaders. The editor at my first job was amazing. Fast, accurate, smart enough to remember all the different clients, smart enough to know what all the different disciplines of the practice were talking about.

At my first job out of graduate school, we were constantly making last-minute (and I mean, knock on the closed door waving $20 bills kind of last minute) FedEx runs. First one I did, I swore it would never happen again. Not on MY project. Trouble was, I was never really in charge... or at least I console myself with that sometimes. I kept score by pulling off the little tracking number sticky tabs on the package and pasting them on the dashboard of my car. By the time we gave that car away to charity, there was a collection of them, spaced about an inch apart, running all the way across the dashboard to the passenger window.

Sure enough, things got missed. The typos were embarrassing, but the hurried mistakes were worse. Even when it said "draft" on it in big fat letters. Never mattered.

Then there's deliberate misinterpretation. This last week, my bishop was quoted in The Living Church, which was nice, except that he was selectively quoted. In fact, the quotation was lifted in such a manner as to mean exactly the opposite of what he intended to say. And he was only talking about the Windsor Report.

And now, here I am, daring to do the ultimately arrogant thing of talking about God.

Now do you know why I fear the blog? That once you publish something in this format it's out there for the world to see? (never mind there are a handful of you reading this, it's my fear, it doesn't have to be rational.)

For one thing, I'm just not that good. My theology isn't always going to be consistent. My descriptions of God and of scripture and of life are a work in process. But this is a world where nominated supreme court justices are questioned about opinion papers they wrote before my little sisters were born. Here you go, here's enough rope to hang me. Oh, a little more? Sure.

Second, to quote my friend Jim Flowers, you can't talk about the Trinity for more than five minutes without committing some kind of early-church heresy. But what's a little heresy among friends?

Third, I'm a storyteller. I'm going to run out of stories to tell eventually. And if I do this, I can't even move to a new congregation and re-tell them. (okay, this fear makes the massive leap that the new congregation will find and read this. But it's my fear, and it doesn't have to be rational to be real.)

5 comments:

Pat Greene said...

I for one am very glad you entered the blogisphere.

I love reading what you write. You write well, and from the heart. Some of what you have written -- the piece about dancing, for example -- I have passed along to other people. And I love the stories -- I wouldn't worry that they will get old, there are many and varied stories in your life, and you are wise enough to see the import in the everyday.

As far as talking about God, well, people need to keep that conversation going, people with both knowledge (which you have) and humility (which you also have, as evinced by this post). I know a lot of people whose main exposure to Christianity is unfortunately from reading about Pat Robertson or Jerry Falwell, and it's nice to have other voices to point them to. You are one of those -- not the only one, but since I know you, I can vouch for you personally : D (Same goes for Sara's Going Jesus.)

Mostly, I just like reading things in your voice. I've missed having you around St. Tim's ever since you went away to seminary, and it's nice to see what you're up to from time to time.

From my own selfish perspective, if you had not started your blog, I would not have started my blog, and would not be doing the sort of more structured writing I am doing there (as opposed to the journaling I do in my LJ), which brings me a great deal of satisfaction.

I know what you mean about not being able to take things back, though. I wrote a post not too long ago about the cease-fire declared by ETA, the Basque separatist terrorist group, and got my first ever comment from a complete stranger -- a Basque nationalist. How he found my blog (since I have an even smaller readership than you do) is anyone's guess.

Julie said...

Please blog! Though you may not feel consistent about what you say, your underlying message is always consistent - "it's about Jesus." It is such a powerful message and I am reminded each time I read your blog that there are smart, faithful, thoughtful Christians that really understand the transformative power of Jesus in their life. You can't underestimate the necessity for that in our world today. Plus, from my own selfish perspective, reading your blog often gives me the little boost I need to just go one more day on this crazy path.

meeegan said...

A couple of things I believe to be true, which may help reduce your worry level:

God wants to be talked about, even by the imperfect likes of us.

And your life will keep bringing you stories.

Anonymous said...

I often wonder if Jesus was always as serious as he's made out to be.

Is it possible that "Suffer the little children to come unto me" was prefaced with a stupid grin and improbable contortion designed to provoke childish giggles?

Is it just possible that there's a vision of God (if not the formal requirements of a theology) in "Behold the power of children and chocolate"?

Anonymous said...

The Jesus who laughs... after all, that's the One who MADE children and chocolate and endorphins and so forth, from all the evidence sheerly for the purpose of beautifying our lives ....

Hi Glenn! Hi Cris(+)!

Greetings from windy chilly Chicagoland - I hope y'all are well in your respective areas of the country. God is to be found in New York, is She? And in Texas as well? Will wonders never cease? ;-)

Speaking of wonders - I'm worshipping, as an Episcopalian, with Covenanters (a Swedish Lutheran franchise) and Baptists (!!) these days. Oi. And we are being joined lately by an INFLUX of former "salvationists" - Salvation Army folk. Weird and wild - did you know the Salvation Army neither baptizes nor has communion?!?!?! Our baby church, with some 15 members, may have something like 5 baptisms very shortly!!

We can be found (virtually) at christreconciler.blogspot.com - maybe Jason(+) has mentioned it. I would like to put all our heads together one day and see what emerges.....

I am grateful for the blogosphere. This virtual roundtable is a blessing. It is good to hear y'all's voices (typings?) again.