10 March, 2006

blogging Episcopalians

In the information age, we spend vast amounts of time and energy getting computers to connect.

But my question is: what does it take to get people to connect?

In one of her 'vampire chronicles,' Anne Rice called this a culture of "frenzied isolation." That's a phrase so apt, and so delicious, that I've adopted it as my own. And every time I say it out loud in a group of people, heads nod. We are busy. Not just busy, crazy-busy. Too busy to take time for our families, much less our neighbors.

So what does it mean that I've now joined a ring called "Blogging Episcopalians?" There are over 200 members. I spent an hour or so looking over the list of sites before joining the ring, and the vast majority are like the vast majority of Episcopalians I know: thoughtful. Deep. Insightful. Faithful. You could spend a whole day reading blogs on that list, and it would be a day well spent.

But am I adding to the problem? One more voice in the cacophany?

My current solution is, as with many things in the faith: to hold it in tension and let it stay there. My need to be in real, physical community, in tension with the reality that many of us today perceive a significant part of our lives through the lens of membership in a community that is present in all places and none.

2 comments:

Marshall Scott said...

Well, I'm listening.

It seems to me that cacophany is better than silence. And since you find that most of us blogging Episcopalians aren't simply shouting, but are thoughtful, deep, insightful, and faithful, I bet there's as much harmony as cacophany. There is certainly some interesting counterpoint, and sometimes themes that don't make sense for a while (shades of the Silmarrilion!).

Anonymous said...

I can say that I have been given strength from your words of wisdom. It is always good to read a message that is uplifting and thought provoking...so keep it coming!